Valium (Diazepam) Overview
What is Valium?
Valium is a drug used to manage anxiety disorders. Valium is also used to relieve the symptoms of anxiety in the short-term. Valium is an anxiolytic. Valium may also be useful for relieving the symptoms of acute agitation, tremor, hallucinosis (presence of hallucinations without any other impairment of consciousness), or impending or acute delirium tremens (such as with severe alcohol withdrawal).
Valium is also a useful aid to relieving skeletal muscle spasms e.g. from inflammation of the muscles or joint, or secondary to trauma. Valium can also aid in helping the spasticity that is caused by upper motor neuron disorders e.g. cerebral palsy and paraplegia. Valium is also a useful aid in treating athetosis, and stiff-man syndrome. Oral Valium may be used as an aid to other drugs for treating convulsive disorders, although it is not effective on its own as a treatment for convulsive disorders.
What diseases and conditions are treated by Valium?
Some of the conditions and diseases that may be treated by Valium include:
- Anxiety Disorders
- Acute agitation
- Delirium tremens
- Skeletal muscle spasms
- Spasticity (caused by cerebral palsy)
- Spasticity (caused by paraplegia)
- Spasticity (caused by upper motor neuron disorders)
- Upper motor neuron disorders
- Stiff-man syndrome
- Convulsive disorders
- Anxiety Disorders: Anxiety Disorders are mental health disorders involving excessive anxiety. Although some level of anxiety can be normal for a person
... More on Anxiety Disorders »
- Anxiety Attack: An anxiety attack is usually another name for a “panic attack” and is often related to panic disorder and other
... More on Anxiety Attack »
- Cerebral Palsy: Cerebral Palsy (CP) refers to permanent brain damage at birth or in early childhood that causes movement disorders, such as
... More on Cerebral Palsy »
- Paraplegia: Paraplegia is paralysis of the legs and much of the lower half of the body. The cause is usually an
... More on Paraplegia »
- Stress: Stress is the general condition of emotional or physical stress. This condition can have real physical effects on the body
... More on Stress »
- Alcoholism: Alcoholism is the abuse of alcohol due to a chronic addiction to alcohol. Drinking a few drinks to cope with
... More on Alcoholism »
- Inflammatory disorders: Inflammatory disorders are those that cause inflammation within the body. There are various types of anti-inflammatory medications (e.g
... More on Inflammatory disorders »
- Anxiety: Anxiety is the well-known feeling of concern. Some level of rational anxiety is normal some of the time and
... More on Anxiety »
- Agitation: Agitation is a symptom of heightened tension leading to both psychological reactions and physical motions by the patient. Symptoms may
... More on Agitation »
- Tremor: Tremor is the slight involuntary shakiness, usually initially of the fingers or hands. Tremor must be distinguished from various other
... More on Tremor »
Valium: Related Drug and Treatment Topics
Valium: Related Disease Topics
Valium: Related Symptom Topics
- Muscle Spasms
Note: This site is for informational purposes only and is not medical advice. See your doctor or other qualified medical professional for all your medical needs.