Abdominal Distention Overview
Abdominal distention refers to swelling or protrusion of the abdomen. Abdominal distention can be caused by simple things (e.g. flatulence, pregnancy) or can indicate a severe internal organ disorder. The distention could be due to an abdominal mass, an enlarged internal organ, cyst, abscess, tumor, and many other possible causes.
• • •
Back to: « Abdominal Distention
- Pregnancy: Pregnancy is the condition of a woman having a fetus from conception through to childbirth. The general topic of conception
... More on Pregnancy »
- Aerophagia: Aerophagia literally means eating (phagia) of air. It refers to the ingestion of air into the digestive system. Causes include
... More on Aerophagia »
- Obesity: Obesity is an excess of body weight due to fatty tissue. Milder forms are called “overweight”. See also the symptom
... More on Obesity »
- Ascites: Ascites is the accumulation of fluid in the abdomen. It may cause abdominal distention (abdominal swelling), pressure on the internal
... More on Ascites »
- Food Allergies: Food allergies occur when the body’s immune system reacts against a substance in food causing an allergic reaction. Common
... More on Food Allergies »
Note: This site is for informational purposes only and is not medical advice. See your doctor or other qualified medical professional for all your medical needs.