Liver enlargement, or hepatomegaly, is a symptom of many different disorders. The liver enlarges with additional symptoms such as abdominal distention and/or abdominal tenderness. Closely related is spleen enlargement (splenomegaly) and the two types of swelling often go together
... More »
Causal Categories: Causes of liver swelling or liver enlargement (hepatomegaly) may result from these main categories of disease:
- Liver conditions ...
Liver enlargement (hepatosplenomegaly) is sometimes mistaken for some other similar symptoms in the same abdominal region:
- Liver displacement
- Diaphragm ...
- Cirrhosis of the Liver: Cirrhosis of the liver, or hepatic cirrhosis, is a severe chronic disease of the liver. It is best known as
... More on Cirrhosis of the Liver »
- Pancreas Disorders: Pancreas disorders, or pancreatic disorders, are those affecting the pancreas, which is an organ in the abdomen. Examples include Pancreatitis
... More on Pancreas Disorders »
- Heart Disorders: Heart disorders include many different types of diseases of the heart. Heart disease often refers to coronary heart disease, although
... More on Heart Disorders »
- Systemic Disorders: Systemic disorders is the general category of disorders and diseases where an entire body system is affected, or the entire
... More on Systemic Disorders »
- Liver Disorders: The liver is a large organ that can have various disorders. Infection or inflammation of the liver is called hepatitis
... More on Liver Disorders »
Related Symptom Topics
Read more about these related symptoms:More Symptoms »
Related Disease and Condition Topics
Read about these medical conditions related to Liver Enlargement:More Diseases »
Note: This site is for informational purposes only and is not medical advice. See your doctor or other qualified medical professional for all your medical needs.