Myoclonus is a particular type of jerky muscle spasms with abnormal movement. In myoclonic seizures, the muscle spasms are involuntary and may have various different triggers or be regular and recurring. The cause of true myoclonus is often a brain disorder
... More »
Causes of myoclonus include:
- Normal. Occasionally myoclonus is common without disorder, such as the types of muscle spasms that can ...
Similar SymptomsMore Similar Symptoms »
Types of myoclonus include:
- Generalized myoclonus
- Localized myoclonus
- Intention myoclonus. Where voluntarily attempting to move is a trigger for the ...
- Brain Disorders: A variety of brain disorders can occur, and many are very serious such as stroke or brain tumor. Any type
... More on Brain Disorders »
- Meningitis: Meningitis is inflammation or infection of the meninges, which are membranes in the brain and central nervous system. Meningitis is
... More on Meningitis »
- Encephalitis: Encephalitis is a brain inflammation, and can be very serious. Encephalitis is often related to meningitis and the combination is
... More on Encephalitis »
- Alzheimer’s Disease: Alzheimer’s Disease is the best-known and much-feared cause of progressive dementia in old age. Forgetfulness and memory loss
... More on Alzheimer’s Disease »
- Poisoning: Poisoning, or toxicity, is the general category of poisoning from any type of substance. Poisons may be ingested (eaten), injected
... More on Poisoning »
Related Symptom Topics
Read more about these related symptoms:More Symptoms »
Related Disease and Condition Topics
Read about these medical conditions related to Myoclonus:More Diseases »
Note: This site is for informational purposes only and is not medical advice. See your doctor or other qualified medical professional for all your medical needs.