Retractions of the chest area (especially in children) may indicate severe respiratory issues such as accessory muscle use, severe breathing difficulty, and/or impending respiratory failure. These are a medical emergency requiring immediate attention. Types of retractions may include abdominal
... More »
These causes of these retractions during breathing are severe breathing difficulty. Acute causes may include:
- Airway obstruction (choking)
- Foreign body ...
Retractions usually refers to chest region retractions, that occur during breathing. There are various types of breathing-related retractions:
- abdominal ...
- Foreign body: A “foreign body” in medicine refers to a piece of something artificial that is “foreign” to the body. It might
... More on Foreign body »
- Asthma: Asthma is a chronic lung disease that involves inflammation and narrowing of the airways. This results in symptoms such as
... More on Asthma »
- Bronchospasm: Bronchospasm is a muscular spasm of the bronchioles in the lungs, causing breathing difficulty. Causes of bronchospasm include asthma (asthma attack)
... More on Bronchospasm »
- Whooping Cough: Whooping cough, also called Pertussis, is a respiratory infection that is well-known for its characteristic cough. Whooping cough is
... More on Whooping Cough »
- Adult Respiratory Distress Syndrome: Adult Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) or “Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome”, is a form of severe respiratory distress and respiratory failure
... More on Adult Respiratory Distress Syndrome »
Related Symptom Topics
Read more about these related symptoms:More Symptoms »
Related Disease and Condition Topics
Read about these medical conditions related to Retractions:More Diseases »
Note: This site is for informational purposes only and is not medical advice. See your doctor or other qualified medical professional for all your medical needs.