Runny Nose Overview
A runny nose is a very common symptom with many causes. The related medical terms are rhinitis (nose inflammation) and rhinorrhea (nasal discharge).
The most common causes are usually self-limiting, such as the common cold, although even this common condition may have complications (e.g. ear infection, sinusitis, pneumonia, etc.). There are also a variety of other causes of runny nose, some of which are serious. Nasal discharge may also result from nosebleeds and CSF rhinorrhea, which may be life-threatening.
- Common Cold: The common cold refers to any number of viral infections of the nose and throat. Typical symptoms are all too
... More on Common Cold »
- Ear Infection: An ear infection can affect one or both ears. There are different types of ear infection depending on the exact
... More on Ear Infection »
- Sinusitis: Sinusitis is the inflammation of the areas called the “sinuses”, which are cavities in the facial area, near the nose
... More on Sinusitis »
- Pneumonia: Pneumonia refers to lung inflammation, and often to a lung infection with fluid in the lungs. Pneumonia can be very
... More on Pneumonia »
- Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: Upper Respiratory Tract Infection (URTI) is a general name for the many different types of common respiratory infections. Examples include
... More on Upper Respiratory Tract Infection »
- Allergies: Allergies occur when the immune system responds to a substance. Common examples include dust allergies, pollen allergies (causing hay fever
... More on Allergies »
- Allergic Rhinitis: Allergic rhinitis refers to rhinitis (runny nose) that is caused by allergies. Hay fever is a seasonal type of allergic
... More on Allergic Rhinitis »
- Pollen Allergies: Pollen allergies are an allergic reaction to small grains of pollen that are carried in the air from various plants
... More on Pollen Allergies »
- Hay Fever: Hay fever, also called Allergic Rhinitis, is an allergic reaction to pollens are other airborne allergens. Symptoms of hay fever
... More on Hay Fever »
- Seasonal allergic rhinitis: Perennial allergic rhinitis, also called Perennial allergic rhinitis, is hay fever (allergic rhinitis) that arises annual in relation to the
... More on Seasonal allergic rhinitis »
Note: This site is for informational purposes only and is not medical advice. See your doctor or other qualified medical professional for all your medical needs.