Sleepiness is a common issue in life and is not necessarily a medical issue. Simple causes include sleep inadequacy from life’s challenges such as parenting, career exertion, partying lifestyle, late-night studying, shift work, jet lag, and so on. Poor quality sleep may also be related to the night-time sleep environment and sleep interruptions.
But sometimes a sleep disorder may be causing sleep difficulty (e.g. insomnia), resulting in excessive daytime sleepiness. There may be difficulty getting to sleep, difficulty staying asleep, or both. Examples of sleep disorders include chronic insomnia, obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS), and various others. Extreme sleepiness with abnormal napping is the classic symptom of an uncommon sleep disorder called narcolepsy.
Age-related sleep difficulty is also fairly common. Some seniors experience more difficulty with sleep as they age, without there necessarily being any major underlying sleep disorder. There are various other issues and causes of sleepiness.
Although many people often accept poor sleep as a part of life, you should see a doctor to address it. Some of the causal disorders can be dangerous and life-shortening (e.g. OSA). Read more about: Insomnia, Sleep Disorders
- Sleep Disorders: Sleep Disorders can result in too little or too much sleep. Difficulty sleeping is called insomnia, and can be a
... More on Sleep Disorders »
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea: Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) is a type of sleep-disordered breathing where a person ceases to breathe for short periods
... More on Obstructive Sleep Apnea »
- Restless Legs Syndrome: Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS) is a sleep disorder with unusual pains, sensations, and recurring movements of the legs. The main
... More on Restless Legs Syndrome »
- Narcolepsy: Narcolepsy is a sleep disorder where a person tends to fall asleep in daytime. It is not the normal type
... More on Narcolepsy »
- Sleeping Difficulty: Difficulty sleeping or insomnia includes both difficulty in falling asleep and difficulty in staying asleep. Sometimes the cause of insomnia
... More on Sleeping Difficulty »
- Insomnia: Insomnia is a difficulty with sleep, either in falling asleep or in staying asleep. Difficulty with sleeping can occur for
... More on Insomnia »
- Sleep: Sleep is the physiological process whereby the brain achieves rest. The reason for the body’s need for sleep is
... More on Sleep »
Note: This site is for informational purposes only and is not medical advice. See your doctor or other qualified medical professional for all your medical needs.