Causes of Sneezing
Simple Causes: Sneezes have a variety of simple causes and triggers:
- Airborne irritants
- Dust irritation
- Smoke inhalation (e.g. secondary smoke)
- Inhaled irritant (e.g. pepper, fumes, ammonia, cleaning sprays, pepper spray)
- External temperature changes
- Cool breeze
- Sneezing in sunlight or bright lights. A reasonably common reflex sneeze on seeing sunlight.
Respiratory Disorders: Respiratory ailments can result in sneezing:
- Allergic rhinitis
- Pollen allergies
- Seasonal allergies
- Airborne allergies
- Pet allergies
- Dust allergies
- Dust mite allergies
Other Causes: Some other possible causes of sneezing include:
- Full stomach (post-gustatory sneezing; post-prandial sneeze). A rare cause of sneezing.
- Psychogenic sneezing
Similar Symptoms: See also the various causes of these symptoms, which may also cause sneezing:
• • •
Back to: « Sneezing
Note: This site is for informational purposes only and is not medical advice. See your doctor or other qualified medical professional for all your medical needs.