Swollen Lymph Nodes
Swollen lymph nodes, or lymph glands, are a common symptom in infection and disease. The medical term is Lymphadenopathy. There are various different lymph nodes in the neck, underarm, groin, thigh, and other locations. Depending on the condition, there may
... More »
Causes of swollen lymph nodes depend on whether it is localized lymphadenopathy versus generalized lymphadenopathy (multiple nodes affected).
- Localized lymphadenopathy ...
The type of swollen lymph nodes (lymphadenopathy) depends on how many regions are affected. The basic types are:
- Local lymphadenopathy ...
- Viral Infections: Viral infections are caused by viruses, which are tiny microbes that spread in the body. Viruses are actually made up
... More on Viral Infections »
- Mononucleosis: Mononucleosis, or infectious mononucleosis, is a contagious viral infection that is very common. It is caused by the Epstein-Barr
... More on Mononucleosis »
- HIV: HIV is Human Immunodeficiency Virus, which is the retrovirus that causes AIDS. The initial infection with HIV causes a short
... More on HIV »
- AIDS: AIDS, standing for Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome, is the final stage of infection with the HIV virus. AIDS usually has
... More on AIDS »
- Lymphoma: Lymphoma is a cancer of the lymphatic gland tissue. Its main symptom is lymph node enlargement (lymphadenopathy) and lymphoma can
... More on Lymphoma »
Related Symptom Topics
Read more about these related symptoms:More Symptoms »
Related Disease and Condition Topics
Read about these medical conditions related to Swollen Lymph Nodes:More Diseases »
Note: This site is for informational purposes only and is not medical advice. See your doctor or other qualified medical professional for all your medical needs.