Causes of Vague Symptoms
Simple Causes: There are many possible causes of a vague feeling of unwell. Donít assume that it must be a serious illness. There are many ordinary and everyday causes that can causes various types of mild symptoms, feelings of unwell, lack of motivation, and so on. Some of the simple possibilities include:
- Tiredness, lack of sleep, sleep debt, shift work, overwork, working late, jet lag, parenting, etc.
- Insomnia, difficulty sleeping, etc.
- Emotional causes, relationship problems, divorce, etc.
- Sadness, grief, recent loss, etc.
- Stress, relationship stress, career stress, parenting stress, etc.
- Alcohol, hangover, other substances, etc.
- Anxiety. Simple anxiety can arise from a number of things, and some level of anxiety is a normal reaction to a real concern.
Simple Medical Conditions: There are some medical conditions that are common, and can cause vague or mild symptoms.
- Viral infection. You could have the start of a virus, or it could be a mild viral infection. Usually there will be a fever, or at least a mild fever.
- Recovering from a recent illness. The recovery phase from a recent illness, such as a recent viral infection, can still leave you feeling tired and below your best.
- Drug side-effects. Are you taking any new medications? New herbal remedies or diet changes? Have any drug dosages changed? A drug side-effect or drug interaction is a possibility.
Serious Causes: There are many possible diseases that cause only mild symptoms. Some progress to more serious symptoms, and some may stay with mild, subclinical symptoms for some time. See your doctor for a full diagnosis. Many of these conditions are easy to overlook and can remain undiagnosed, or be misdiagnosed.
- Sleep disorders
- Obstructive sleep apnea
- Anxiety Disorders
- Iron deficiency
- Libido changes
- High Cholesterol
- Metabolic Syndrome
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Lyme Disease
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Thyroid Diseases (Under-active thyroid, over-active thyroid).
- Post-viral syndromes
- Kidney disease
- Liver disease
- Viral hepatitis
- Vitamin B12 deficiency
- Cancers. Unfortunately, undiagnosed cancer of various types can cause mild symptoms, tiredness, and so on, especially in the early stages.
Sexually Transmitted Diseases: There are a number of diseases that are sexually transmitted, but can have mild or absent symptoms in some people.
- HIV (AIDS)
- Genital Herpes
- Chronic Hepatitis B
- Chronic Hepatitis C
Chronic Infectious Causes: A variety of different infections can cause mild symptoms, or even absent symptoms. In many of these conditions, the condition may remain chronic long-term until the symptoms are diagnosed and the condition treated.
There really is a long list of possible diseases where the early symptoms are mild. See your doctor for a diagnosis if you suspect any type of underlying illness.
• • •
Back to: « Vague Symptoms
Note: This site is for informational purposes only and is not medical advice. See your doctor or other qualified medical professional for all your medical needs.